President Donald Trump, on Tuesday, delivered his first State of the Union Address to a joint session of Congress where he made an appeal for bipartisanship in implementing his agenda.
Trump spoke on immigration and strong borders, supporting the military by ending sequesters and rebuilding America’s fighting force, as well as touting job growth and recent tax cuts passed in the nation.
Lawmakers from North Carolina’s delegation responded to Trump’s speech Tuesday night.
Congressman Robert Pittenger, from North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District, released a statement saying, “Tonight, President Trump made clear to the American people that they can once again be optimistic about the future. In just one short year, President Trump, working together with Republicans in Congress, delivered on his promise to Make America Great Again. Our economy is booming and our enemies are on the run. From Tax Cuts to regulatory reform, restoring law and order, repealing Obamacare’s individual mandate, and reasserting America’s global leadership, 2017 was an historic year, a turning point for America”
Rep. Pittenger also called for unity in Congress to enact Trump’s agenda. “In the coming months, I look forward to working with President Trump and my colleagues in Congress to secure our borders, pass landmark foreign investment reform, rebuild America’s infrastructure, and redouble our efforts to defeat those who wish us harm.”
Sen. Richard Burr also released a statement following the address:
“A little over one year ago, the American people voted for a change. Following eight years of abdicated global leadership and the slowest economic recovery in history, the new administration has delivered that change in spades. Our stock markets are setting records on a daily basis, ISIS is on the run, and unemployment rates are at record lows. The new president and this Congress have worked together to put first those who were left behind in recent years and, in doing so, helped the millions of Americans who needed it most.
“We confirmed a well-qualified Supreme Court Justice and a record number of Circuit Court judges. We revoked hundreds of unnecessary regulations that wasted thousands of hours of paperwork better spent on further developing businesses. We repealed the burdensome Individual Mandate from Obamacare. And we passed the most sweeping tax reform in more than thirty years, putting more of your hard earned money back in your pockets.
“You would be hard pressed to find someone who hasn’t seen the benefits from all that’s been done in just the first year of this administration. I look forward to continuing to work together with the president and my colleagues in Congress to accomplish even more for the American people in 2018.”
Sen. Thom Tillis, the freshman Republican senator from North Carolina, released a video response to Trump’s speech addressing the economy, immigration reform, and more.
“Over the past year, under President Trump’s leadership, we’ve made a lot of progress on realizing the economic potential of the United States,” Tillis said.
“Sweeping regulatory reforms have eliminated job killing regulations, and tax cuts have provided relief to families and businesses. The tax cuts will leave more of your hard earned money in your pockets, and not the government’s. By doubling the standard deduction and lowering the tax brackets American families will get tax reliefs they have all waited for.”
Tillis highlighted that unemployment is at a 17 year low, and the stock market is up 36 percent.
“American families are once again on track to realizing our economic potential and American companies are globally competitive again,” Tillis said. “Although some of my colleagues on the other side of the aisle are downplaying these events, they were a direct result of the President’s leadership and Congress’ actions.”
Some of the state’s Democratic lawmakers took to Twitter during and after the address to make their opinions known.
Congresswoman Alma Adams, a Democrat from North Carolina’s 12th Congressional district, tweeted:
· “POTUS continues to spread fake news about immigration-trying to link it to crime with no evidence. If POTUS doesn’t understand this basic falsehood, how can we assume that he understands the complex immigration challenges our nation faces?”
· “POTUS claims he “drained the swamp” yet at least 5 of his cabinet officials are under investigation for spending millions in taxpayer dollars to travel on private planes.”
· “The “massive” permanent tax cuts from #GOPTaxScam went to corporate America and hardworking Americans got next to nothing.”
Congressman David Price, a Democrat from North Carolina’s 4th Congressional District tweeted:
· “The President is spending a good chunk of #SOTU touting the healthy economy. Just like the rest of his life, he is taking credit for something he inherited.”
· “You want to take care of our veterans, @realDonaldTrump? Veteran homelessness is up for the first time in seven years thanks to lack of adequate funding for housing programs.”
· “Under @realdonaltrump & @GOP leadership, Congress passed FOUR short-term, stop-gap measures to fund the government & one #GOPshutdown. Real leadership is enacting a long-term bipartisan budget agreement. The American people are tired of brinksmanship – we need solutions.”