The results are in and a number of incumbents were upset it their primaries for both Democrats and Republicans in both federal and state races.
Congressman Robert Pittenger (R-NC), the ninth district representative lost his primary bid to Mark Harris, a Charlotte-area Pastor who has run against Pittenger in the past.
Pittenger, in an email to supporters, blamed the loss on what he called “baseless attacks” from the Harris campaign saying, “Regarding the campaign, Mark Harris was successful in convincing enough voters that I supported Planned Parenthood… He even stated that I opposed border funding, supported sanctuary cities and amnesty, all fabricated and nonsense, as I am a sponsor of legislation to the contrary. We were blindsided with these baseless attacks and clearly did not respond in an adequate manner.”
Harris’ reasoning for the comments come from recent votes on legislation that Pittenger gave his approval to that did not fully fund a border wall and also did not explicitly defund Planed Parenthood.
Harris will now go on to face Demicratic challenger Dan McCready, who secured his own primary victory Tuesday with nearly 83 percent of the vote.
Looking at the state legislature, Democratic incumbent Duane Hall (D-Wake) lost his primary to Allison Dahle.
Hall lost the support of the Democratic Party after allegations of sexual harassment arose and Hall’s colleagues and party called on him to resign.
Though he refused to resign, voters overwhelmingly backed his challenger by more than 40 percent of the vote.
Another well-known House representative to lose his primary was Rep. Justin Burr (R-Stanly), who lost to Wayne Sasser by double-digits on Tuesday.
Another Republican to lose her primary was Rep. Beverley Boswell (R-Beaufrot), a coastal NC legislator who dropped to challenger Bobby Hanig by a little more than 400 votes.
While not an actual primary loss for an incumbent, Bob Rucho, a former senator in leadership in the state Senate, lost the primary for Senate District 34, coming in a little more than 1,000 votes behind the winner, Vickie Sawyer, in the field of four candidates.
Turning back to the Congressional seats for Republicans, Congressman Walter Jones took home 43 percent of the vote in his district while his two challengers split the remaining 57 percent between themselves.
In the mountains, Congresswoman Virginia Foxx easily coasted to victory, winning more than 80 percent of the vote.
In District 10 Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-NC) took his primary with more than 70 percent of the vote in the field of six candidates.
Rep. Mark Meadows (R-NC) locked down 86 percent of the vote in District 11.
For the Democrats, Rep. Alma Adams grabbed the primary for her new district, though she was already the incumbent in district 12 after redistricting her district moved and she had to decide whether to run in her new district or move back into District 12. She chose to move and won her primary handily garnering 85 percent of the vote.
Congressman David Price (D-NC) locked up 77 percent of the vote in his primary among a field of three candidates.
Of the more than 6 million registered voters in the state, less than one million turned up at the polls giving a voter representation of 14.25 percent, more than a percentage point lower than the 2014 midterm primaries.